Southern California: Old Home / New Home
I lived in Camarillo during my elementary years in a beautiful neighborhood, went to a great school, had fun friends, and lived a great life that any child would want. Camarillo is known for a perfect climate, acres upon acres of agriculture with lemon, walnut, and avocado groves, fields of flower starts for commercial nurseries, etc. It was and is still a popular place to live because it has stayed unspoiled, unlike a lot of other areas in Southern California.
The strange thing is that over all the years I have never been able to get my husband or children to go there. Don't you think they would want to see where I grew up in my formative years? Would seeing this place explain part of who and what I am? I always thought so, but noooo... anytime we would go that direction the call of Disneyland or other hot spots would take priority for them.
We went to Los Angeles to visit Derek and Mary for a few days in late July. They spent the summer there for Derek's internship. It was important for us to see what their life was like and what we could expect to come if Derek got a job offer to go back after graduation. On his last week at work Derek did get an offer so they will be making Southern California their home this summer. It was a great trip for a variety of reasons.
FINALLY I had the chance to take just a couple of the people in my life to see a "part of me" that is very special. Larry and Mary gave me the opportunity to go "home" for a few short hours for a quick tour.
Talking on my cell to my brother Rick, my Mom, and cousin Gay to share my experience of being on our old street. We lived on the same street for 7 years by my Uncle Joe and Aunt Ava. I am standing in front of Gay's house. Still looks beautiful. We were on the same side of the street and had a great view overlooking the valley. Our house has been redone on the outside and doesn't look the same, plus it is not being taken care of very well, so I didn't want to post a picture here. I loved being back there.
Taking it all in.
So happy to be here! Larry asked "Why did your family ever want to leave here?" Good question!
This is the only picture we got of the four of us! Sad! That is probably because it was one of the few times we actually got to see Derek! He worked a lot of hours, and I mean a lot. You had to be there to see it and believe it. Gold star to Derek AND Mary for making it a successful experience. We just "had" to go "Hollywood" for part of the weekend. We went to brunch at "The Ivy" in Beverly Hills. We are standing in the same spot you see in all the magazines with the celebrities who go to eat there. We didn't see anybody famous. Darn!
No comments:
Post a Comment